Empowering a broad new range of blockchain applications
Today we’re delighted to release the first beta version of MultiChain 2.0, the next generation of the MultiChain blockchain platform, after 16 months in development. MultiChain 2.0 (download) includes three major new areas of functionality to help developers rapidly build powerful blockchain applications:
- Off-chain data. Any item published in a MultiChain stream can optionally be stored off-chain, in order to save bandwidth and storage space. Off-chain data (up to 1 GB per item) is automatically hashed into the blockchain, with the data itself delivered rapidly over the peer-to-peer network. Click for more about off-chain data.
- Richer data streams. JSON and Unicode text are now supported natively and stored efficiently on- or off-chain. Multiple JSON items can be merged together, allowing a stream to serve as a database with a full audit history. Stream items can have multiple keys, and be queried by multiple keys and/or publishers together. Finally, to increase data throughput, a single transaction can publish multiple items to one or more streams.
In addition, MultiChain 2.0 provides several other smaller new features:
- Blockchain upgrading. Many blockchain parameters can be changed over time, subject to administrator consensus. These include the block time interval, maximum block size, and many transaction size limits.
- Per-asset permissions. Assets can optionally be issued with their own send and receive permissions, which can be controlled for each address by that asset’s issuer and/or its assigned administrators.
- Binary cache. Large pieces of binary data (up to 1 GB) can be added to MultiChain over multiple API calls, or uploaded directly via the file system.
- Inline metadata. Transaction outputs containing assets and/or native currency can now contain metadata in JSON, text or binary format. Smart Filters can easily read and respond to this metadata.
- Custom permissions. Six new permissions (three “high” and three “low”) can be assigned to addresses by two levels of administrator. These are useful for defining roles enforced by Smart Filters.
We’re also delighted to welcome over 40 new companies to the MultiChain partner program, bringing the total number to 86. New members include SAP who have built a deep integration with MultiChain in the SAP Cloud Platform.
MultiChain 2.0 beta 1 can be downloaded here. It is backwards compatible with version 1.0 with a few exceptions – see the API compatibility note. MultiChain 1.0 nodes and networks can be upgraded to version 2.0 in the usual way (be sure to back up first). We’ll also continue to maintain and fix any bugs in MultiChain 1.0 through 2019 at least.
Below is the full official press release about the 2.0 beta release.
MultiChain Releases Beta Version 2.0 with Over Forty New Partners
December 19, 2018 – Coin Sciences Ltd is delighted to announce the first beta release of MultiChain 2.0, along with the addition of 43 new members of the MultiChain Partner Program, bringing the total number to 86.
MultiChain 2.0 beta 1 has been released after sixteen months of intensive development including seven alpha versions, and is available for Linux and Windows at: https://www.multichain.com/download-install/. Enhancements over MultiChain 1.0 include richer data publishing with support for JSON and Unicode text, blockchain parameter upgrading, seamless integration of off-chain data storage and delivery, and Smart Filters, MultiChain’s approach to the smart contract paradigm.
The new members of the MultiChain Partner Program include SAP, who have integrated MultiChain into the SAP Cloud Platform and are deploying it for client projects. HCL Technologies, the multinational consulting company, also recently joined, along with 41 other blockchain and software companies. Members of the partner program have access to the MultiChain engineering team, can use MultiChain branding in their marketing materials, and are promoted on the MultiChain website. A full list of MultiChain’s partners can be found at: https://www.multichain.com/platform-partners/
“At SAP we are extending business solutions with MultiChain blockchain functionality via our SAP Cloud Platform offering.” said Torsten Zube, SAP’s Head of Blockchain. Furthermore, “We strategically decided that MultiChain should be part of our offering due to its proven, easy and mature distributed ledger technology addressing enterprise needs. The upcoming MultiChain 2.0 release will provide more functionality such as Smart Filters and off-chain data that we see as particularly relevant for enterprise scenarios going forward.”
“Version 2.0 represents a huge upgrade for MultiChain, integrating several major features commonly requested by our developer community,” said Dr Gideon Greenspan, CEO and Founder of Coin Sciences Ltd. “With version 1.0 in stable production since August 2017, our goal with MultiChain 2.0 remains the same: to provide a powerful, stable and easy-to-use platform for blockchain application developers. We look forward to continued cooperation with our partners to bring MultiChain-driven applications to enterprises, governments and beyond.”
Please post any comments on LinkedIn.